European Film Academy Young Audience AwardJury screening: May 5th, 2019
25th Junior Galway Film Fleadh November 2019
The Galway Film Fleadh, in association with Galway 2020 and Pálás cinema, is excited to be partnering with the European Film Academy (EFA) to take part in the EFA’s Young Audience Award.
Join us on Sunday 5th May at Pálás Galway, from 9:30am – 6pm, and be part of Europe’s biggest film jury!
The EFA Young Audience Award is a simultaneous, Europe-wide, film viewing event for young people aged between 12 – 14 years. Kinda like the Eurovision, but for films!
- On Sunday 5th May, three nominated films are to be screened in 56 different cities, in 35 different European countries
- Each participating city involves an audience of young people
- The audiences in each city act as a jury and vote for their favourite film
- All participating cities interact with each other via video conference and social media
- Film professionals and educators lead the audience in discussions about the films they’ve seen
- The highlight of the day is the ceremony in the evening, during which the audience transmit the results of the national votes
We are currently hunting for our audience members!
What’s involved in taking part?
- Participation is free for young people aged from 12 to 14
- Selected jury members will participate in a workshop on film criticism two weeks before the screening
- On May 5th, jury members will assemble in the Pálás cinema to view the 3 films from 9a.m. to 6p.m
- After the screenings, the jury will vote for their choice of winning film
- This vote will be transmitted to our Irish partners in the Irish Film Institute, Dublin, who will then transmit the results of the national vote to the European Film Academy
Of course, since you’ll be sticking around for the day, lunch is on us.
Why take part?
The screenings offers a unique opportunity to discover great Europe film that reflect the realities of young people all over Europe, that usually wouldn’t be available in your local multiplex. It’s a chance for budding filmmakers and critics to have a lash at voting on a film, learn more about the world of cinema and get involved with their local film festival.
How can I be part of the jury?
Applicants must be between 12 and 14 years of age, live in Galway city or county and be available on Sunday May 5th from 9a.m. to 6p.m.
First step – fill in the below application form. If you are accepted, our staff will send a consent form to your parents via email. Upon receipt of the consent form, you will be a part of the jury!
Jury applications close Tuesday April 24th at 5p.m.
2019 nominated films
Fight Girl (Veichtmeisje)
The Netherlands, Belgium 2019
When her parents end up in an acrimonious divorce, the headstrong, highly volatile Bo (12) moves to an Amsterdam suburb with her mother and brother. Once there, her neighbour, Joy, introduces her to the kickboxing club. She demonstrates natural talent and is very soon taking part in the Dutch championships, but her parents divorce is distracting Bo and threatens to ruin the contest. Bo has to learn restraint and accept that she can’t control everything. More info >
Norway, Sweden 2019
LOS BANDO is a crazy road movie about a young band from Norway who set out on a journey across the country to attend the National Championship of Rock in a race against time, the police and their parents. More info >
Great Britain, Sweden 2019
‘Survival of the fittest’ is the philosophy at all boys boarding school Caldermount. If you’re not a champion on the sports field, you’re a nobody. No one knows this better than bookworm Amberson, who’s been at the bottom of the school’s social ladder since he can remember.
When the French teacher’s fiery daughter Agnes arrives, Amberson’s life is turned upside down. He suddenly finds himself playing matchmaker for Winchester, the school’s handsome but spectacularly dim school-hero. Winchester definitely has the looks to win over Agnes but it’s Amberson who has the wits.
Will Amberson have the courage to reveal himself to her and stand up for who he really is? More info >